Pages

Monday 27 May 2013

Tomato Plants

Our Gr.1's have been learning about plants. I was able to obtain some tomato seeds that are a part of the tomatosphere project through the Canadian Space Agency. I've allowed the Gr.2's to grow a tomato plant as well. I couldn't let them miss out on something so cool.

Teachers receive two sets of seeds (both Heinz H9478) - a control group and a set of seeds that have been “primed” – a process which brings seeds close to the germination point before the process is stopped. The project wishes to determine if priming is a viable process to use on seeds travelling long distances (as in the trip to Mars).

For more information please click on the link below

http://www.tomatosphere.org/

So far so good-we have some growth. I'm not touching the plants. I simply do not have a green thumb. I've added plant technicians to our classroom job chart and it has gone over very well with the kids.

 
Mrs. Ashley Daley-Creamer

No comments:

Post a Comment