Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

Grade 2 Fancy Words



       As some of the Grade 2 parents may have noticed, we have added a "fancy" word to your child's spelling list. I'm adding the extra word because I want to challenge the kids. Most of our kids already know how to spell most of the spelling words,  so there is no challenge for them. I'm also noticing that there are words that the kids love to use in their writing that they do not know how to spell. In order to provide a challenge and to help with their writing, I've decided to add a "fancy" or special word.
       Today, your child and I sat down and conferenced about their writing. Together we picked out a word that they use often in their writing, but they misspell. This word was selected to be their "fancy" or special word this week.Each week, your child will study the Grade 2 spelling words and their individual word. They will be tested on all 9 of their words on Friday. Everyone in Grade 2 has their own additional word that they need to spell. Some of the words that students are working on this week are: mammoth, dreadful, finally, fantastic and mumbled (to name a few).

The kids are always on the look out for fancy words. We love to read Fancy Nancy books to find some special words to use in our writing!
        I hope the kids enjoy learning their new word! They were very happy that they were able to choose their own word. I just know I will see these words spelt perfectly when they are working on writing!

Mrs. Ashley Daley-Creamer

No comments:

Post a Comment