Pages

Friday 16 October 2015

Social Studies

Mrs. Shillington and I have started Social Studies with our kiddos. We will be learning about New Brunswick. I wish I had of taped the reaction from the class when they saw the Social Studies sign on our class schedule. THEY FREAKED! When I gave them the books about New Brunswick they were so excited! Here are a few things that we heard.....

"We live in New Brunswick!"

 "Wow look at the maps!"

"Terry Fox is on page 95!"

"Look at those weird rock things!" (referring to Hopewell Rocks)

"Oh my gosh I've been to that place!"


You would think we gave them the moon! There were shrieks people! Mrs. Shillington and I had a good chuckle about their reactions and we hope that the attitude about Social Studies lasts all year!

Since the student books are non-fiction we introduced Social Studies by sending the kids on a text feature hunt. They had to look for captions, diagrams, glossaries etc. Here are a couple pictures below!







No comments:

Post a Comment