Pages

Thursday 20 October 2011

Sight Words Newsletter

Dear Parents,

In Kindergarten students are engaged in many pre-reading and reading activities throughout the day. One activity is finding "popcorn words" in books and charts in our classroom.

Popcorn words are sight words. In Kindergarten we call them popcorn words because they keep "popping up" in our reading. Studies have shown the more sight words a student can recall the better reader they will become.

There are 25 popcorn words your child should know by the end of Kindergarten. To help your child learn these words I am sending home and posting this list for you. Each month we will focus on a few of these words in school. I will include the words we are focusing on in my monthly newsletter. Please note:they are not required to spell these words in Kindergarten.

I will also send home suggestions for activities you may want to do with the sight words in the next few months.

October- I, like, is
November-a, see, at
December-the, in, it
January-and, can
February-he, to
March- my, go, you
April-me, up, come
May-no, look, we
June-little, here, said

Have fun finding "popcorn" words when your reading!

Ashley Daley-Creamer

No comments:

Post a Comment