Pages

Thursday 12 September 2013

Vowels!

Today in Gr. 1 we were talking about vowels. First of  all let me just say- that Ms. Shuttleworth is very creative! Almost all of our Gr.1's were in Ms. Shuttleworth's kindergarten class and they learnt a song about vowels when they were with her! I want to say it is almost like the song in the link below but I couldn't find an exact version. 

http://youtu.be/aqizfmO_D_A

I am not as musical as Ms. Shuttleworth (although I wish I was) so I showed them a little trick that I learnt in order to remember the vowels. See below-your kiddo will definitely be able to explain the vowel face to you!
Ask them why Yy is not a part of the face!

We also identified the vowels on our ABC chart. The kids and I put post-its under the vowels. We ripped a post-it in half under the Yy because Yy is only sometimes a vowel.


Only half of a post-it for Yy!
Anyway, since we were able to identify the vowels we practised all of our vowel sounds, and "stretched" a few words to figure out the vowel sounds that we heard. The kids did a wonderful job! It makes me very excited to start reading groups!

Mrs. Ashley Daley-Creamer







No comments:

Post a Comment